Is anxiety taking over your life? Does it feel like you can’t control it no matter how hard you try?
When it comes to treating anxiety disorders, research shows that therapy is usually the most effective option. It’s true that medication can be helpful. But therapy for anxiety treats more than the symptoms.
These are some of the symptoms of anxiety:
- Nervousness, restlessness, tension
- Feelings of danger, panic or dread
- Rapid breathing or hyperventilation
- Increased or heavy sweating
- Trembling or muscle twitching
- Weakness or lethargy
- Difficulty focusing or thinking clearly about anything other than the thing you’re worried about
- Obsessions about certain ideas or fears
- Anxiety surrounding a particular life event or experience that has occurred in the past
Therapy can help to uncover the underlying causes of your worries and fears, learn how to relax, to look at situations in a new, less frightening way, and to develop better coping mechanisms and problem-solving skills.